Sunday 6 May 2012

Marbled Bundt Cake.

I have always read bundt cake recipes some what enviously, not having a suitable cake tin I have never been able to attempt them. However this has all changed and I could resist no longer, so I  indulged myself by investing in my very own bundt tin. Having purchased said tin I immediately started looking for recipes with which to christen it. There are so many delicious bundt recipes out there that I was spoilt for choice, however I must admit that I chose this one as we already had the requisite ingredients in the cupboard.


3 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
6 tbsp water
1 ½ cups butter, melted
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
5 large eggs
½ cup milk


6 ounces chocolate
⅔ cup cream


Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl add in ½ cup of sugar, cocoa and water; whisk until mixture is smooth. Beat melted butter, vanilla and sugar for about a minute.  Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition, then continue to beat for a couple of minutes.


Add the flour and milk in three stages alternating between the two. Add the cocoa mixture to two cups of the cake batter and stir. Now spoon the mixture into the tin alternating between the two mixtures.


Bake for 50-60 minutes at 175C. 


To make icing place cream in the microwave for a minute or so, then stir the chocolate into it to melt. Pour over the cake.

8 comments:

  1. It looks really beautiful - what a great cake to christen your tin with. I've been looking out for a silicone ring mould for forever it seems, but haven't found one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be being stupid but what would be the advantage of a silicone one. Bundt mixtures are so heavy wouldn't a silicone ring be very unstable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading Dolly Bakes' post about "Dolly Vs Silicone" here http://www.dollybakes.co.uk/2012/04/dolly-vs-silicone-garden-party-cake.html I swore never to try silicone and stick with my tins!

      Delete
    2. I always use silicone for preference now - it's revolutionised my baking life - no faffing around with preparation of tins. Plus storage is so much easier - I don't really have room for any more tins, but silicone can be squeezed in. But you could be right and silicone might not stable enough :-S

      Delete
    3. Just going to check out Jules's link.

      Delete
  3. You can get some really reasonably priced metal bundt tins now. I make bundts A LOT and found that the silicon mould just didn't retain enough heat to cook the cake through. Outside was very firm and inside was almost liquid. I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has found reliable silicon though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost forgot. Ace cake by the way!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks fab! Lots of layers, making a very pretty pattern. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete